All-American Berry Flag Cake
Write a review
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Filling and Decoration
- 2 to 3 packages (6 ounces each or 1 1/3 cups each) packages Driscoll's Raspberries
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) package Driscoll's Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease bottom and side of 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Grease paper and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine coconut milk and vanilla. Set aside. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture in several additions, starting and ending with flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third egg white mixture into batter until evenly blended. Fold in remaining mixture until combined.
- Spread batter in prepared 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert to cool completely.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add salt, coconut milk, vanilla, and half of the confectioners' sugar. Mix on low until creamy. Add remaining confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, until creamy and blended. Increase speed to high and beat 1 minute.
- Mash 1 package raspberries in a large bowl. Remove 1 1/2 cups frosting and stir into mashed raspberries until evenly blended. Set aside filling and keep frosting chilled until ready to use.
- Assembly and Decoration
- Place cake on a cutting board or large platter. Split cake in half lengthwise with a serrated knife. Place top half on separate board. Spread filling evenly on bottom half. Place remaining cake half on top of filling and press gently to sandwich. Frost cake completely on top and sides. Using blueberries and remaining raspberries, make stars and stripes of American flag. Fit pastry bag with large star tip (such as Ateco 824, 825 or 826) and pipe remaining frosting in between stripes of raspberries and in between blueberry stars as in photo.