Almond-Coconut Candy Bars
Write a review
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups coconut
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 36 whole almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch pan with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. In small saucepan, combine 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup butter; melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in cookie crumbs. Spread mixture evenly in bottom of sprayed foil-lined pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extract; blend well. Stir in coconut and flour until well mixed.
- Spread filling evenly over base. Arrange almonds over bars in 6 rows of 6 each.
- Bake at 350°F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and center is set when lightly touched.
- In small saucepan, melt glaze ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Drizzle glaze over bars. Cool at least 4 hours or until set. Cut into bars.