Write a review
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 angel food cake mix
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 30 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 ounces pineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut - toasted
- Bring juice from canned pineapple to boil. Whisk together eggs and sugar in medium bowl. Add to pineapple juice, whisking continuously over medium heat until it becomes thick (3-4 minutes).
- Take off heat, stir in butter and salt. Pour in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Bake cake according to package directions. When cooled, slice horizontal into 3 even layers.
- Take vanilla frosting, orange juice and orange zest; stir to combine.
- Place bottom layer of cake on platter, spread 1/2 of orange frosting on bottom layer, top with mandarin oranges.
- Place another layer of cake on top, spread pineapple curd over this layer and top with 4 slices of pineapple rings cut into 1/2.
- Add third layer of cake, frost all around the sides with rest of orange frosting. Frost top with cream cheese frosting.
- Cut 4 pineapple rings into quarters and layer on top of cream cheese frosting. Add the second can of mandarin oranges on this layer with the pineapple.
- Press toasted coconut into sides and on top of cake.