Apple Cider Doughnuts Recipe
Write a review
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small saucepan, bring cider to a rapid boil; cook over high heat until cider is reduced by half, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter and cooled cider; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, pat each portion to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 365°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Fry doughnut holes, a few at time, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels; cool slightly. If desired, dip tops of doughnuts into glaze of your choice. Yield: 1 dozen doughnuts plus doughnut holes.
- Ginger-Sugar: In a shallow bowl, mix 3/4 cup sugar and 2-3 tablespoons ground ginger. Toss with warm doughnuts. Yield: 3/4 cup.