Write a review
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen diced celery, onion, and red and green bell peppers, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut okra, thawed
- 2 pouches (8.5 oz each) ready to- serve Cajun-style rice
- 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, coarsely crumbled
- 1 In small microwavable bowl, stir oil and flour with whisk. Microwave uncovered on High about 4 minutes, stirring every 45 seconds, until caramel colored.
- 2 Carefully pour roux mixture into 4-quart Dutch oven. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper mix and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add squash; cook 5 minutes.
- 3 Stir in tomatoes, 2 cups broth and Creole seasoning. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding 1/2 cup more broth if needed. Stir in chicken and okra; simmer 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 4 Meanwhile, cook rice in microwave as directed on package. Serve gumbo with rice. Sprinkle with bacon.