Bear Chaser Blueberry Pies
Write a review
- Baked Pie Crust (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening or lard
- 3 - 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Prepare Baked Pie Crust; set aside.
For blueberry filling
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together whipping cream and cornstarch (mixture will be thick like a paste). Set aside.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, bring blueberries, the 1/2 cup sugar, and the 1/4 cup pineapple juice to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in whipping cream mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove saucepan from heat. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and cool without stirring for 1 hour.
For cream cheese filling
- 1. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, the 2 tablespoons sugar and the 1 tablespoon pineapple juice with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
- 2. Spread cream cheese filling in the baked pastry shell. Pour blueberry filling over cream cheese. Cover and chill 6 to 24 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.
- Baked Pie Crust
- 1. In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening or lard until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes one 9-inch pie crust.