Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon Recipe
Write a review
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Additional cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Place peas and bacon in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let soak, covered, for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in thyme and salt.
- Add to pea mixture; return to the heat. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with additional crumbled bacon. Yield: 8 servings.