Blood-Red Sangria Cocktail
Write a review
- Sangria Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine, such as Merlot or Zinfandel
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Strips of orange peel from 1 medium orange (orange part only)
- Sangria Martini Cocktail
- Ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 oz) citron (citrus) vodka
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) clear orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) sangria simple syrup, chilled (above)
- 1 dark sweet cherry on a cocktail pick
- 1To make simple syrup, in 1 1/2-quart saucepan, mix sangria simple syrup ingredients. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer; discard solids. Cover and chill sangria syrup until ready to use. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- 2To make cocktail, fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka and orange liqueur to cocktail shaker; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass. Drizzle sangria syrup into cocktail in glass. Garnish with cherry.