Cherry Heart Cookies
Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 red maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red maraschino cherry juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, cherry juice, orange juice, sugar, cornstarch, and butter; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula so the mixture does not burn. Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Cool, and then refrigerate to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into hearts or other desired shapes using a 2½ inch cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place one half of the cutout dough shapes 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Spoon about ½ teaspoon of the chilled cherry filling in the center of each cookie.
- Using a 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour, cut out the center of the remaining 2½ inch cutouts. Place over the filled cookies and gently press the edges together. Fill the centers with additional filling if needed. Re-roll the scraps, or bake the 1 inch heart shapes separately.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Makes about 3 dozen filled cookies