Chicken & Shrimp Jambalaya
Write a review
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery (4 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 6 ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste (1/3 cup)
- 1 Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning or 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp*
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Celery leaves (optional)
- 1. Cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and salt.
- 2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
- 3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 4. Before serving, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture. If desired, garnish each serving with celery leaves.
- from the test kitchen
- If desired, leave the tails on the shrimp.
- Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning
- Prep 15 mins
- Roast 5 mins to 10 mins
- Stand 20 mins
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small bowl stir together onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.