Chipotle Chile Mac and Cheese
Write a review
- 1 pound macaroni elbows or cavatapi corkscrew shaped pasta twists
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, plus some for drizzling
- 3/4 pound chorizo, 1 package, casing removed and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle in adobo and their juices, chopped or 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chili
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded smoked Cheddar
- Place a pot of water on to boil for macaroni. When it boils, salt water and cook pasta until a little under done, just shy of al dente.
- While pasta cooks, place a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and chorizo. Brown the chorizo then add the canned tomatoes to the pan and heat them through. Remove from heat and reserve.
- While chorizo begins to cook, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, then add onions and chipotles and cook 3 to 5 minutes to sweat it out and turn the juices sweet. Raise heat up a bit, add the flour and whisk together until mixture bubbles up. Cook 1 minute more. Whisk in milk and stock and raise heat up a little more to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Once it bubbles, drop heat back to a rolling simmer sauce to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain macaroni or pasta. Add cooked pasta back to the large pot.
- Add cheese to milk sauce and stir to melt, a minute or so. Stir in chorizo and tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over cooked pasta in large pot and toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter, garnish with chives and serve.