Chocolate Ganache Loaf Cake
Write a review
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs (Large)
- 1 small box of instant pudding mix, chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Ganache
- 8oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 5 X 5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix all cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into loaf pan until 2/3 full. If you have extra batter, you can prepare a few mini-loaf pans with nonstick spray and bake the additional batter in those pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If also making mini-loafs, they should be ready in 25-30 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack. When cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer. This will make the cake easier to slice later.
- Place milk in a small sauce pan, and whisk in flour until flour is incorporated into milk keep whisking as to avoid getting lumpy.
- Slowly heat the milk and flour over low heat, and whisk continuously to ensure mixture is smooth.
- Continue to mix until mixture is a pudding-like consistency. Remove from heat and transfer to a small glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. (You can also prepare this the day before you plan to make the cake).
- Place softened butter and sugar in a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Blend until light and fluffy. Add milk/flour mixture and continue to beat until fluffy and thick. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Place chopped chocolate and coffee granules in a bowl. Over low heat, in a small saucepan, heat cream until it starts to boil. Switch off heat, and pour over chocolate, whisking until chocolate melts and become smooth.
- Add vanilla and milk/flour mixture and beat until the filling is light and fluffy!! This may take a lot of mixing. I put it in my stand mixer and whip for about 5 minutes.
- Placed chopped chocolate and coffee in bowl. Heat cream in microwave just until it starts to boil and pour over chocolate and coffee. Let stand for 1-2 minutes to melt the chocolate then take a whisk and whisk until blended. Let cool to room temperature.
- Slice loaf horizontally into 3 equal-size loafs.
- Place bottom layer on a cake plat, and frost top with 1/3-1/2 cup of filling. Repeat with the next two layers, pressing each layer down slightly. Filling may squeeze out of the side, so use a knife to smooth it out, or remove excess filling.
- After the top layer is placed, frost with the ganache, allowing excess to drip over the sides.