Chocolate-Peanut Ice Cream Cake
Write a review
- 2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate-covered peanuts, chopped
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- 1 recipe Chocolate and Peanut Butter Sauce (see recipe below)
- Chocolate-covered or plain peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, in a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press crust mixture onto the bottom and 1 to 2 inches up the side of a 9x3-inch springform pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is set. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Let vanilla ice cream stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to stir vanilla ice cream just enough to soften. Spoon softened ice cream into frozen crust, spreading ice cream evenly. Sprinkle with the 1-1/2 cups chocolate-covered peanuts. Freeze about 1 hour or until firm.
- Let chocolate ice cream stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate ice cream just enough to soften. Spoon softened chocolate ice cream on top of chocolate-covered peanut layer, spreading ice cream evenly. Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- Using a thin metal spatula, loosen crust from side of pan; remove side of pan. Let ice cream cake stand at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes to soften slightly.
- To serve, cut the ice cream cake into wedges and top with Chocolate and Peanut Butter Sauce. If desired, sprinkle with additional chocolate-covered peanuts. Makes 12 servings.
- From the Test Kitchen
- Prepare ice cream cake as directed. Wrap in moistureproof and vaporproof wrap and freeze for up to 1 week. Loosen cake from pan and remove side of pan. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes to soften slightly. Cut into wedges and serve as directed.
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Sauce
- 1 12 ounce jar fudge ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- In a small saucepan, combine ice cream topping and peanut butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through.