Chocolate Peppermint Cannoli
Write a review
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (olive oil is fine)
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg white for sealing dough
- 11/2 quarts peanut oil
- 16 ounce container whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Handful of peppermint candies
- For shells: In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, wine, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, lemon zest and vegetable oil.
- Add flour and knead until dough is very smooth about 3-5 minutes. Cover with plastic and place in a refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, keep it covered and remove a whole pecan size amount at a time. Roll each piece into an oval- round and evenly thin to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Wrap dough around Cannoli tubes and seal the overlapping part with a tiny amount of egg white. Do not use too much egg white as doing so may make the seal come undone during frying.
- Place plastic wrap on finished shells.
- Heat oil to 375°F and fry shells for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil using tongs and transfer on paper towels.
- For filling stir together ricotta, powdered sugar, lemon and orange zest. Chop chocolate into very small pieces and add to above.
- Fill shells using a pastry bag or a spoon.
- Crush mint candies with an old knife or place candies in a thick plastic food bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- Dip ends of Cannoli into crushed mint pieces and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Add extra chocolate chips for decoration if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.