Christmas Candy Brownies
Write a review
- 1 cup red and green candy-coated chocolate candies
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 Place 2 tablespoons of the chocolate candies in small resealable food storage plastic bag; seal. In 1-quart glass jar, layer in order the 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, salt, remaining chocolate candies, cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and walnuts. Place candies in bag on top of the walnuts. Cover tightly. If desired, cover lid with 7 to 8-inch square of fabric tied with ribbon or raffia. Attach tag with recipe and baking directions.
- 2 To make brownies, heat oven to 350°F. Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan. Set aside candies in plastic bag. In large bowl, mix contents of jar with oil, vanilla and eggs. (If brown sugar has become slightly firm, break up with fork.) With spoon beat about 30 strokes until well blended. Spoon and spread in pan. Sprinkle candies from bag over top.
- 3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 45 minutes. For brownies, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
- For easy clean-up, line the pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Lift brownies from pan with foil for easy cutting and serving.
- Cherry flavored baking chips can be substituted for the red and green candies.