Classic Banana Split Cake
Write a review
- 3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup strawberry topping
- Red food color
- 1/4 cup pineapple topping
- Yellow food color
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Filling and Frosting
- 1 container (16 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 box (4-serving size) banana cream instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 3 to 4 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- Chocolate topping, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter, shortening and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Continue beating on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly.
- Divide batter among 3 bowls (about 2 1/2 cups each). Stir 2 tablespoons of the strawberry topping and 3 drops of the red food color into batter in one bowl. Stir 2 tablespoons of the pineapple topping and 3 drops of the yellow food color into batter in second bowl. In small bowl, mix cocoa and hot water; stir into batter in third bowl. Pour batters into separate pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, mix whipped topping and pudding mix until well blended. Place strawberry cake layer on serving plate; spread with remaining 2 tablespoons strawberry topping. Top with layer of banana slices; spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with chocolate cake layer; spread with remaining 2 tablespoons pineapple topping. Top with layer of banana slices; spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with pineapple cake layer. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Drizzle with chocolate topping. Store in refrigerator