Classic Chocolate Meringue Pie
Write a review
- 1 9 inch baked pastry shell
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
- Prepare your favorite baked pastry shell. Cool on wire rack. Separate egg yolks from whites. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For custard, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 2-1/2 cups of the milk almost to simmering (watch closely so milk doesn't boil). Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, with a 12-inch or larger balloon whisk, stir remaining 1/2 cup milk into the 3 egg yolks. In a second bowl combine 1 cup sugar, the flour, cocoa powder, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; whisk in egg yolk mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk; return the mixture to saucepan.
- Over medium-high heat cook and stir mixture until it comes to a full boil. Boil for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate and butter until melted and smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Strain mixture through a sieve, pushing it through with a spatula as needed.
- Wash both bowl and whisk. Set whites-in bowl-over bowl of hot (110 degrees F) water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, with 12-inch or larger wire whisk, beat egg whites slowly until foamy. Whisk in the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, the cream of tartar, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt until well blended.
- Whisk by hand or with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until whites begin to mound. Whisk in superfine sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, sprinkling the sugar over the whole bowl. Continue to whisk 7 to 8 minutes or until whites are moist, glossy, and do not slide when bowl is inverted. The tips of whites should curl over slightly when whisk is lifted from bowl.
- Turn meringue out all at once on top of hot pie filling. With spatula spread meringue from center to edges making sure meringue seals to crust all the way around. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees F or until top is golden; do not overbake. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Makes 8 servings.