Write a review
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- First, pulse the shredded coconut in a food processor until it's just slightly more crumbly than flour.
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt). Mix in lemon zest and shredded coconut. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs, milk, oil (or butter), vanilla and coconut extract. Add egg mixture at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir mixture only until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon into lightly greased muffin tin, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.