Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Soup
Write a review
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow squash
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 cups light cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth. Gradually add the broth, then turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, squash, corn, and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, Parmesan, and chicken. Heat the soup for an additional 10 minutes, but do not let it boil.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle it with more Parmesan, if desired. Makes about 15 cups.