Deep Fried Strawberries
Write a review
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm (110°F to 115°F) water
- 3/4 cup club soda or lemon lime soda
- 1 package (16 ounces) Driscoll's Strawberries (large or long-stem if available)
- Canola oil
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Whisk together flour and granulated sugar. Set aside. Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl and whisk until yeast dissolves. Whisk in club soda or lemon lime soda. Whisk in flour mixture until smooth and blended. Cover loosely and let rest 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, remove calyx (green leaves on top) from strawberries but do not hull. Pat strawberries dry. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Set aside. Place extra flour in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large heavy-duty saucepot to 375°F to 380°F (use a candy thermometer).
- Dip strawberries, one at a time, in bowl of flour, dusting off excess. Dip floured strawberries in batter and turn to coat (batter will be very thick). Carefully place in oil (using tongs or a long skewer) and fry until lightly golden all over (carefully stir with slotted spoon to evenly cook), 1 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries. Place fried strawberries on a platter, dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with mint leaves. Serve immediately.