Fourth of July Cherry-Cola Cake
Write a review
- 1 package 2-layer size German chocolate cake mix
- Cherry cola
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1 recipe Celebration Icing
- 10 dark sweet cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions except substitute cherry cola for the liquid called for and add ground ginger and lime peel. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Use a serrated knife to cut top of cake level. Trim edges of cake. Discard trimmed pieces. Cut cake in half lengthwise into two 13x4-12-inch rectangles. Place one rectangle on a serving platter. Spread with tinted icing. Top with second rectangle. Spread with white icing. Refrigerate cake for 1 hour or until icing is set. Wrap cake in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Top each slice with a cherry. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- Celebration Icing
- 1 1 pound box (about 4-1/2 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cherry spreadable fruit
- Red food coloring
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in an additional 2 cups powdered sugar. Divide the mixture in half. To half of the recipe beat in cherry spreadable fruit and red food coloring to make a pink icing. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency. To remaining half add enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency. Makes 10 to 12 servings.