Go Bowling Cake
Write a review
- 2 recipes Yellow Cake or Classic Chocolate Cake or 2 packages 2-layer-size cake mixes (any flavor)
- 3 cups Creamy White Frosting or two 16-ounce cans vanilla frosting
- 1 cup Chocolate Butter Frosting or one 16-ounce can chocolate frosting
- 3 white candy coating disks (optional)*
- 1 red rolled fruit leather strip or red shoestring licorice
- Grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Prepare batter for one recipe Yellow Cake as directed; pour batter into prepared pan. Bake and cool as directed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare batter for second recipe Yellow Cake as directed. Grease and lightly flour one 6-inch ovenproof glass bowl. Pour about 2 1/2 cups of the batter into bowl.** Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in bowl on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from bowl; cool completely on wire rack.
- To assemble, use a serrated knife to cut the 13x9-inch cake in thirds crosswise. Trim each third into a bowling pin shape.*** Place bowling pin cakes on an extra-large flat serving platter or tray. Frost tops and sides with Creamy White Frosting. If necessary, trim flat side of bowl-shape cake to make an even surface. Place cake, rounded side up, on platter for a bowling ball. Frost bowling ball cake with Chocolate Butter Frosting; if desired, arrange candy disks on cake for holes. Cut fruit leather into nine strips to fit. Place three strips on the neck of each bowling pin cake.