Greek Stuffed Meatballs
Write a review
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 6 ounces kasseri or feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 recipe Greek Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, green olives, black olives, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef and ground lamb; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Shape meat mixture into a ball around each cheese cube, being sure to completely enclose the cheese. Arrange meatballs in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Place meatballs in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Pour Greek Tomato Sauce over meatballs in slow cooker, gently tossing to coat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours. Serve with decorative toothpicks.
- Greek Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, oregano, and cinnamon. Heat through.