Hash Brown Patties
Write a review
- 2 medium baking potatoes (like Russet or Idaho)
- 1/4 medium onion - chopped
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Using the largest holes of a box grater, shred the potatoes. Remove as much liquid as possible from the potatoes by pressing in a colander or squeezing in a clean dish towel.
- Place the shredded potatoes, chopped onion and beaten egg in a mixing bowl and toss with two forks until well combined.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Test the oil by placing a single shred of potato in the pan. If it sizzles... dollop a 1/4-cup scoop of potato mixture into the pan. Flatten the scoop with a spatula to form a patty. Season to taste. Add additional patties to the pan as room allows. You may have to work in batches.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Flip the patties over and cook 5 more minutes. Transfer to stacked paper towels to remove excess grease.
- If working in batches, add more oil to the pan between batches as needed. You can keep cooked patties warm by placing them on a cookie sheet in an oven set to 225 degrees.
- This recipe makes 4 hash brown patties.