Homemade Candy Corn
Write a review
- 1 cup sugar, granulated (white)
- 2/3 cup corn syrup (lite)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Yellow Wilton coloring
- Orange Wilton coloring
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter and corn syrup.
- Bring to a gentle boil, constantly stirring, turn down heat and continue boiling for about 4 minutes (depending on how hard the liquid is boiling).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- In a separate container, combine powdered sugar, salt and powdered milk.
- Add to liquid mixture in the pan, with a heavy wooden spoon or other sturdy spoon, stir together, this takes a lot of muscle, next time I'll do it when my husband is home to help.
- After allowing to cool until you can handle it. Place candy on wax paper and knead until all incorporated.
- Divide into 3 equal parts and color with Wilton orange and yellow coloring. I used my hands to mix the coloring in, you can put gloves on if you want, but I didn't have any trouble washing off the coloring.
- Roll each piece into long ropes, trying to keep the thickness close to the same size.
- Place ropes together, with orange in the middle.
- Gently press ropes together, and flatten with your hands.
- With a sharp knife cut triangles, not every piece will have a white point (those are good for snacking).
- Cut into several pieces, this recipe made a TON of candy corn.