Italian Beef Sandwiches
Write a review
- 1 4 - pound boneless beef sirloin or beef rump roast, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 0.7 - ounce envelope Italian dry salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 -12 hoagie buns, kaiser rolls or other sandwich rolls, split
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheeses (6 ounces) (optional)
- Pickles, sliced onion, sliced pepperoncini and/or roasted red sweet pepper strips (optional)
- Place beef in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine water, salad dressing mix, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and garlic powder; pour over beef in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5-1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from cooker with a slotted spoon. Using two forks, shred the meat. Serve meat in rolls. If you like, sprinkle sandwiches with cheese and place sandwiches on two large baking sheets; broil sandwiches, one pan at a time, 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Strain cooking juices through a fine mesh sieve. Drizzle each sandwich with some of the strained juices to moisten. If you like, top each sandwich with pickles, chopped onion, pepperoncini and/or roasted red sweet pepper strips. Serve remaining cooking juices for dipping, if you like. Makes 10 to 12 sandwiches.