Layered Watermelon Cake
Write a review
- 1 (7 ounce) package chocolate-covered raisins
- 20 drops red food color, divided
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix, batter prepared according to the package directions
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla frosting
- 8 drops green food color
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of chocolate-covered raisins. Add remaining chocolate-covered raisins and 12 drops red food color into cake batter; mix well.
- Bake according to package directions in two 8-inch round cake pans that have been coated with cooking spray, lined with waxed paper, and coated again with cooking spray. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Place frosting in 2 medium bowls, dividing equally. Add green food color to one bowl; mix well. Add remaining 8 drops red food color to second bowl; mix well.
- Place 1 cake layer upside down on a serving plate and frost top with half of red frosting. Place second layer over first and frost top with remaining half of red frosting. Frost sides with green frosting.
- Place reserved 2 tablespoons chocolate-covered raisins over top to look like seeds. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
- Instead of frosting, you can use low-fat frozen whipped topping that has been thawed - just color it as above and frost the cake, but remember to keep it chilled.