Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
Write a review
- 3/4 cup instant grits
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.