Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Write a review
- 2 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 jar (10 to 12 oz) lemon curd
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups; spray paper cups with baking spray with flour. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 2In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and 1 teaspoon vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about one-third at a time, and milk, about half at a time, beating just until blended.
- 3Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each with about 3 tablespoons batter or until about two-thirds full.
- 4Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 5By slowly spinning end of round handle of wooden spoon back and forth, make deep, 3/4-inch-wide indentation in center of top of each cupcake, not quite to bottom. (Wiggle end of spoon in cupcake to make opening large enough.)
- 6Spoon lemon curd into small resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag. Cut 3/8-inch tip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Insert tip of bag into opening in each cupcake; squeeze bag to fill opening.
- 7Increase oven temperature to 450°F. In medium bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating continuously until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy. Frost cupcakes with meringue; place on cookie sheet. Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.