Microwave Mug Cakes 3 Ways
Write a review
- You’ll Need: 4 large microwave-safe mugs
- Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Toppings, like whipped cream, powdered sugar or chocolate sauce
- Combine all ingredients and mix until just combined — do not over mix
- Divide between four mugs
- One at a time, microwave on high for 2 1/2-3 minutes, until cake rises above the mug
- Let cool for 2 minutes and garnish with desired toppings
- Tip: Cakes can be made in mugs, cooled and then frozen for up to a month. Add toppings just before serving.
- 2. Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- Follow the chocolate mug cake recipe, substituting seeds from half a vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract) for the cocoa. Cut the bean in half lengthwise, and then use a small sharp knife to scrape out the seeds. Garnish with twirls of lemon peel.
- Tip: For a stronger lemon flavor, use 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest instead. Finish with a lemon glaze: heat 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice over low heat and stir until sugar melts. Brush over cakes while they’re still warm and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- 3. Red Velvet Mug Cake
- Follow chocolate mug cake recipe, adding 1 tablespoon of red food coloring. Top with cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberry slices to complete.