Orange-Hazelnut French Silk Pie
Write a review
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- 1 recipe Hazelnut Shell
- 1 recipe Hazelnut Whipped Cream
- 1 recipe Candied Orange Peel (optional)
- In a medium heavy saucepan combine cream, chocolate pieces, butter, and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg mixture to chocolate mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and begins to bubble. Remove from heat. (Mixture may appear slightly curdled.) Stir in the liqueur and, if desired, orange peel. Place the saucepan in a bowl of ice water; let stand, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir.
- In a medium bowl beat chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread chocolate mixture into Hazelnut Shell.
- Cover and chill for at least 5 hours. Spread Hazelnut Whipped Cream over chocolate layer. If desired, top pie with Candied Orange Peels.
- From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP
- If you don't have a citrus zester, cut peels of oranges lengthwise into quarters, cutting just through the peel to the surface of the fruit. Pry back the quartered peel with a spoon; scrape away the soft white part inside the peel. Cut peels into 1/8-inch-wide strips. Coat with sugar and heat in a skillet as directed.
TO MAKE AHEAD
- Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Hazelnut Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a chilled medium bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, hazelnut liqueur, and vanilla. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Makes about 2 cups.
- Hazelnut Shell
- 6 ounces hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor process hazelnuts until finely ground. Add brown sugar and all-purpose flour. With food processor running, add melted butter through feed tube until mixture holds together. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake about 12 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Candied Orange Peel
- 1 medium orange
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Score orange into four lengthwise quarters, cutting just through the pulp to the surface of the fruit. Pry back the quartered peel with a spoon. Scrape off the soft, white bitter portions inside the peel. Or use a vegetable peeler to remove orange peel. Cut orange peels into 1/8-inch strips. (Wrap and store peeled fruit in the refrigerator for another use.) Coat orange strips with sugar. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add orange peel and cook until sugar is melted, stirring occasionally. Transfer orange peel to a sheet of parchment paper. Let stand to cool and set. If desired, roll in additional sugar.