Patriotic Deviled Eggs
Write a review
- 12 boiled and peeled eggs
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Red and blue food coloring
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 teaspoons dill or sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon horseradish
- 4 drops hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of paprika
- * Slice the boiled eggs lengthwise and remove the yolks. Put the yolks in a covered container while you dye the whites, so they'll stay moist.
- * If there is yolk residue on the whites, let them set for a few minutes, then gently wash in cold water and drain on paper towels.
- * Put 3/4 cup vinegar and 20 drops of liquid food coloring in a small bowl.
- * Place 2-3 whites in each dye bowl and leave for 5-10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pat dry with another paper towel to keep dyes from mixing.
- * Repeat until you have dyed eight red and eight blue, with eight left white. Arrange on your deviled egg tray and set to one side.
- * Mash up the boiled yolks with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, relish, horseradish, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Beat until smooth with a fork or hand mixer.
- * Place a heaping spoonful of filling into each egg white, using a spoon or pastry bag.
- * Sprinkle paprika on top of filling.