Write a review
- 24 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 12 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- Place 8 cups of popcorn in large microwave-safe bowl; set aside.
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/4 cup margarine, 6 Tbsp. sugar, 2 Tbsp. corn syrup, and 1/s tsp vanilla.
- Microwave on high 2 minutes or until mixture is boiling, stirring after 1 minute. Add red food coloring (how dark you want it will determine how much you add; I added 10 drops or so for a vibrant color) and stir. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Microwave on high 2 to 4 minutes, stirring thoroughly with rubber spatula every minute and scraping sides and bottom of bowl.* Watch carefully–it can burn on the bottom rather quickly; this time around I ended up only doing it 3 minutes.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool (or just put in the big container); stir occasionally to break up.
- Repeat process with 8 more cups of popcorn, but use blue food coloring in the coating mixture.
- Add the remaining 8 cups of popcorn (you could do more, too, if you wanted) to the large container. Sprinkle whole mixture with salt and mix together.
- Store in airtight container.
- *Mixture may be baked in conventional oven instead of microwave—bake for 45 minutes at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.