Peppermint Twist Cupcakes
Write a review
- 2 3/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red paste food color
- Peppermint Frosting
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
- Red liquid food color
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 2In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about one-third at a time, and 1 1/4 cups milk, about half at a time, beating just until blended.
- 3Spoon 1 1/2 cups cake batter into small bowl; stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and paste food color to make red batter.
- 4In each muffin cup, spoon about 1 tablespoon white cake batter. Top with about 1 tablespoon red batter, then another 1 tablespoon white batter. With table knife, draw an “S” in batter of each muffin cup to swirl batter.
- 5Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 6In large bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and 6 tablespoons milk with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Spread scant 2 tablespoons frosting on each cupcake. With tiny paintbrush, “paint” liquid food color in swirl pattern on frosting on each cupcake.