Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli
Write a review
- 1 pound beef rib steak, sliced thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for rolling dough
- One 16-ounce ball pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded mild cheese blend, such as provolone, mozzarella and Parmesan
- 1 cup tomato sauce (gravy)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the beef filling, sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the beef and cook until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. During this time, stir and shred the beef with tongs or a spatula. The beef should be a shredded cheese steak consistency. Once cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool until building the stromboli.
- On a clean, dry work surface sprinkled with flour, roll the pizza dough into a 10 by 14-inch rectangle, making sure not to flip the dough over, just rotating by 90 degrees as needed. Once the dough is rolled out, sprinkle half the cheese in the center, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides. Top with the beef, followed by the tomato sauce, in a stacked fashion. Top with the herbs and the remaining cheese. Brush the edges with some of the egg wash. Fold the bottom and top edges over the filling, and then fold the sides over twice, 1-inch at a time, resulting in a 6 by 14-inch tube. Brush the outside of the stromboli with the remaining egg wash, place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake until firm and golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 5 to 6 portions and serve.