Piña Colada Cake
Write a review
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup + 3/4 cup sweetened coconut
- Rum Moistening Syrup
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons white or light Rum
- 1 pound (4 ounce can) pineapple slices in juice
- Frosting Crème Chantilly
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 8 or 9 inch baking pans and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix well between each (at least 45 seconds).
- Add salt, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add half of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour. Add first amount (1/2 cup) of coconut.
- Divide batter into pans and place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and turn upside down after 5 minutes of cooling.
- Spread coconut on cookie sheet and place in oven, toast evenly golden.
- To make syrup bring sugar and water to full boil and remove from heat. Place pan in ice water to completely chill. Add Rum and set aside.
- Drain pineapple, cut half of the amount in small pieces and set aside. Retain slices.
Continue following steps when cake is at room temperature
- Place one cake layer on a serving tray. Using a pastry brush moisten cake layer with half of Rum syrup. Spread cut pineapple onto cake.
- In a cold bowl whip whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread a half inch layer of whipped cream onto cake layer.
- Place second cake layer on top and moisten with remaining syrup. Spread whipped cream on surface and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with toasted but cooled coconut. Decorate with pineapple slices.