Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Filling and Mascarpone Frosting
Write a review
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring (2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- White Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Mascarpone Frosting
- Grated white chocolate and/or white chocolate curls (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare White Chocolate Whipped Cream and Mascarpone Frosting. Transfer the whipped cream to a decorating bag fitted with a large round or star tip. Push tip into the top of each cupcake and force some of the whipped cream inside cake.
- Generously pipe or spread the frosting onto tops of cupcakes. If desired, sprinkle with grated white chocolate and/or white chocolate curls. Makes 18 cupcakes.