Roasted Onions Agrodolce Recipe
Write a review
- 2 1/2 pounds cipollini onions, peeled
- 2 1/2 ounces thick-sliced smoked bacon, medium dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons dry red wine
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, also known as sultanas
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine onions, bacon, and olive oil in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish, stir to coat onions in oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and place in the oven.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and start to become tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stir until sugar is dissolved, then continue cooking until reduced by 1/2, about 20 minutes.
- When onions are done, remove from the oven, pour sauce over them, reduce oven temperature to 400°F, and return the baking dish to the oven. Roast onions, basting occasionally, until sauce is thick and syrupy, about another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir onions to coat in sauce. Return to the oven and continue roasting until fork tender, about 8 minutes more. Serve hot or lukewarm.