Write a review
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 2 containers Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- Yellow or brown food color
- Tray or cardboard (20x18 inches), covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- 2 pull-and-peel cherry licorice twists (from 14-oz package)
- 1 roll Betty Crocker® Fruit Roll-Ups® chewy fruit snack (from 5-oz box)
- Ring-shaped hard candies and assorted candies for decorating
- 1Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan or spray with baking spray with flour. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate or freeze cake about 1 hour or until firm.
- 2Cut cake as shown in diagram. Arrange pieces to form sailboat on tray. Tint 1 1/3 cups frosting with yellow or brown food color for hull. Spread a thin layer of white frosting over top and sides of sails, and a thin layer of tinted frosting over top and sides of hull, to seal in crumbs. Refrigerate or freeze cake 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting.
- 3Frost entire cake with remaining frosting. Cut licorice pieces to desired length for the mast; place near the edge of the longest sail. To create the top flag, spread a thin layer of frosting on a small piece of aluminum foil. Unroll and remove wrapper from fruit snack roll; press onto frosting-coated foil. Using kitchen scissors, cut into flag shape. Secure flag to mast with a small amount of frosting. Use candy for portholes, or decorate as desired. Store loosely covered.