Scottie Cookies Recipe
Write a review
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Black liquid food coloring
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- Red and green paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and corn syrup. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in thirds. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. dog-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and corn syrup. Add enough milk to make a thin spreading consistency. Divide in half; tint one half with black food coloring and leave remaining half plain.
- For royal icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Divide in half; tint one portion red and the other green. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth.)
- Decorate cookies as desired with frosting, icing and sprinkles. Let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 7 dozen.