Slow Cooker Chicken-Barley Stew
Write a review
- 3 large carrots, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb), skin removed
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearled barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place carrots, celery and onion. Place chicken breasts on vegetables. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and thyme.
- 2Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
- 3Remove chicken from cooker; place on cutting board. Remove meat from bones and chop into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces; discard bones.
- 4Stir chicken, parsley and thyme into stew. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until chicken is thoroughly heated.