Slow-Cooker Root Beer Ribs
Write a review
- 2 racks St. Louis-style spare ribs, (2 1/3 to 3 pounds each), cut into 3- or 4-rib sections
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cup (12-oz) can root beer, (not diet), divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- Combine sugar, chili powder, salt, onion powder and allspice in medium bowl. Set aside half the spice mixture (about 1/3 cup.); sprinkle the rest over both sides of ribs. Pour 1/2 cup root beer into slow cooker and add ribs. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours, until ribs are very tender.
- With 10 minutes left on ribs, combine remaining root beer and reserved spice mixture in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, just a few seconds. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Remove ribs to platter and cover. Strain the cooking liquid and pour off fat. Add 1/3 cup remaining liquid to sauce; stir until smooth.
- Brush ribs with sauce, serve with remaining sauce on side.
- Serves 6