Write a review
- 1/2 cup red candy coating disks
- 1/2 cup blue candy coating disks
- 1/2 cup white candy coating disks
- 2 1/2 cups Creamy White Frosting or canned creamy white frosting
- 12 Confetti Cupcakes or other 2-1/2-inch cupcakes in paper bake cups
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles and/or jimmies (optional)
- Place colored candy coating disks in three separate small microwave-safe bowls. Microwave one bowl on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. Stir; microwave for 20 to 30 seconds more or until melted. Repeat, one at a time, with the remaining bowls of candy coating. Transfer the melted candy coatings to three small heavy resealable plastic bags. Snip off a small piece from one corner of each bag. On sheets of waxed paper, make 8- to 9-inch-long sticks (about 1/4-inch thickness) of each color candy coating by piping back and forth over waxed paper in a zigzag pattern. Let stand about 1 hour or until firm. (If necessary, place the sticks of candy coating in the freezer until firm.)
- Meanwhile, place Creamy White Frosting in a disposable pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe frosting over Confetti Cupcakes.
- Break the zigzag sticks of candy coating into 3- to 4-inch lengths. Insert the candy sticks into frosting, radiating out from the center like a sparkler. If desired, sprinkle with colored sprinkles. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
- Confetti Cupcakes
- 1 package 2-layer-size white cake mix
- 1 4-serving-size package instant cheesecake pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red, white, and blue sprinkles or jimmies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four to twenty-six 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, pudding mix, the water, eggs, sour cream, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in sprinkles. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds to three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Creamy White Frosting
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.