Spicy Chicken and Chile Taco Dip Recipe
Write a review
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium Anaheim chiles, cored, seeded, and medium dice
- 2 medium poblano chiles, cored, seeded, and medium dice
- 1 medium serrano chile, stemmed and small dice
- 1 medium white onion, medium dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded, and medium dice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Mexican-style hot sauce, such as Cholula or Tapatío, plus more for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine the measured salt, oregano, measured pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and evenly sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook undisturbed until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chiles, onion, and garlic to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, when the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into small dice and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, stir to combine, and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken, stir to combine, and turn off the heat. Add the beans, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, the cream cheese, sour cream, and measured hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-by-8-inch baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese on top is melted, the edges are bubbling, and the dip is heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and extra hot sauce on the side.