Spring Chicken with Peas and Onions
Write a review
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped Old El Paso® onions
- 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth with 1/3 less sodium
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Green Giant® frozen sweet peas (from 1-lb bag)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken in batches; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from Dutch oven.
- Add onions to Dutch oven; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Add chicken and broth; reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 25 to 30 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (180°F). Remove chicken; place on platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- In small bowl, mix milk and flour until smooth. Beating with wire whisk, add flour mixture to cooking juices in Dutch oven. Increase heat to medium. Add peas and tarragon; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until peas are tender and sauce has thickened slightly. Pour mixture over chicken.