Strawberry Greek Yogurt Cupcakes
Write a review
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries cut in 4-6 pieces
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 – 8 ounce packages cream cheese
- 1 cup very ripe strawberries
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 pint strawberries for decoration
- 18 candy flowers, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Select 9 perfect strawberries (which will be cut in half later for decorating the cupcakes) and return to refrigerator. Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix well between each.
- Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Add one third of flour mixture and mix until combined. Add half of Greek yogurt and mix until smooth. Add another one third of flour and mix smooth. Add Greek yogurt and once combined add remaining flour. Stir in first listed strawberries cut in 4-6 pieces.
- Use stand alone firm paper cups or place standard paper cups in a cupcake or muffin tin. Fill the cups generously ¾ full. Place in oven and bake for 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Let cool.
- Meanwhile prepare frosting.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl. In a blender puree 1 cup strawberries until still slightly chunky.
- Add about 1/4 cup of strawberry puree to cream cheese and with a firm rubber spatula stir until mixture is totally free of lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup and stir until lump free. Continue with remaining amount. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- When cupcakes are thoroughly cold spread frosting onto the surface or use a piping bag fitted with a medium piping tip.
- Decorate with strawberry half and flower.