Strawberry-Rhubarb Angel Cake
Write a review
- 1 box Betty Crocker® white angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Red food color, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups whipping (heavy) cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated or powdered sugar
- 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to 350°F. In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat cake mix, water and orange peel with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. (Do not use fluted tube cake pan or 9-inch angel food pan or batter will overflow.)
- 2Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake. Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours.
- 3Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix rhubarb, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the orange juice. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups strawberries. Stir in 4 drops food color if deeper red color is desired. Refrigerate about 1 hour.
- 4In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. In large bowl, beat ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup powdered sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream.
- 5Run knife around edges of cake; remove from pan. Cut cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Fill layers with filling. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Arrange 1/2 cup strawberries over top of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.