Sweet and Sour Pineapple Chicken
Write a review
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 14oz. can pineapple chunks
- 1 cup snow peas, halved
- 1 green pepper, cut into large squares
- 1 onion, cut into large squares
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl, leaving the oil behind. Add snow peas, green pepper, and onion to the skillet and stir-fry for 1 or 2 minutes, just until the color brightens. Add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple chunks into a measuring cup. Add enough water to the juice to make 1-1/4 cups of liquid. (Reserve the pineapple chunks, of course.) Stir brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger and garlic.
- Pour this mixture into the skillet, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the sauce simmers and begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan along with the pineapple chunks and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce is glossy and thick and everything is heated through.
- Serve immediately with rice.