Tastykake Bread Pudding
Write a review
For the bread pudding
- 24 Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (12 packs)
- 8 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 extra-large eggs, plus 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup scotch (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Make the bread pudding: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Scrape the icing off the Krimpets; reserve the icing. Cut each Krimpet into eighths and toss with the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and granulated sugar in a bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk the warm cream into the egg mixture until combined, whisking constantly. Add the vanilla and reserved Krimpet icing and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture and gently stir to coat. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to a rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the icing: Bring the brown sugar, butter and scotch to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and vanilla and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Transfer the icing mixture to a large bowl. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat with a mixer until smooth, about 1 minute. Spread on the bread pudding.