Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
Write a review
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 6.9 ounce package chicken-flavor rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (10 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes (2 medium)
- 3 tablespoons canned diced green chiles, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including contents of the seasoning packet). Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, basil, cumin, and black pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, about 25 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.